West African Peanut Soup
















This tasty recipe is very filling and so easy that even I can make it :) I learned it from Sunaina, who learned it from her friend Anushka who learned it from the awesome Cookie and Kate blog. The recipe serves 4 large portions or about 6 regular portions in my experience.

Here is the official recipe, but I'll include and highlight my own suggestions for what I think is a heartier and more flavorful version of the soup.

Ingredients
  • 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced (I like to use 6-7 cloves)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 bunch collard greens (or kale), ribs removed and leaves chopped into 1-inch strips (The collard greens add a ton of texture so I use 1.5 or even 2 bunches. It seems like a lot but it shrinks when it's mixed into the soup.)
  • ¾ cup unsalted peanut butter (chunky or smooth) (I like to use about a full cup of Extra Crunchy Skippy peanut butter. Not as healthy but very yummy!)
  • ½ cup tomato paste* (I use a full 6 oz can. Makes it easier than trying to convert oz. to cups!)
  • Hot sauce, like sriracha (AKA rooster sauce) (I like Cholula, and Sriracha is great for some extra kick. I use a lot.)
  • ¼ cup roughly chopped peanuts, for garnish 

Instructions
  1. In a medium Dutch oven or stock pot, bring the broth to a boil. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and salt. Cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
  2. In a medium-sized, heat-safe mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter and tomato paste, then transfer 1 to 2 cups of the hot stock to the bowl. Whisk the mixture together until smooth, then pour the peanut mixture back into the soup and mix well. Stir in the collard greens and season the soup with hot sauce to taste. Simmer for about 15 more minutes on medium-low heat, stirring often. Serve over cooked brown rice if you'd like, and top with a sprinkle of chopped peanuts. (I haven't tested this but I think the soup tastes better if it simmers for longer than 15m. I generally let the soup simmer for at least 20, 25m because I'm very, very slow. Basically every part of the recipe takes me about 10-15m longer and I just keep the heat lower to compensate. Your mileage may vary though. I also highly recommend serving over lots of yummy rice!)